Privacy Notice for Website Visitors
Falkland and Newton of Falkland Community Council is committed to respecting the privacy rights of all visitors to our website. We comply with data protection laws at all times and have set out this Privacy Notice to explain what personal data we collect, why we collect it, how we protect it, and to explain your rights.
Personal data we collect
We collect the following data about you:
- your name, e-mail address, contact details and communication preferences when you complete forms on our website;
- a range of information about you only used to help you to volunteer for any community council related activity;
How we protect your data
We are committed to keeping your data secure. We use encryption for web traffic to and from our website and we store any data provided through our website in secure computer systems that only authorised personnel and volunteers have access to. Our data is backed up and we have secure systems in place to prevent hackers, viruses and similar from accessing our systems and data. We also have a range of policies and procedures to ensure your data is kept safe and only used in accordance with this Privacy Notice.
How we use your data
We use your data for two reasons:
- to provide information and support to you;
- to subscribe you to our mailing list and send you relevant information by e-mail;
When and how we might share your data
We will never sell your personal data. We share limited data for limited purposes. There is one set of data sharing involving personal data collected through our website:
- Contact information you provide to seek help/support/information/provide feedback/make a complaint – we store this in computer systems provided by third parties for processing, storage and archive purposes. The agreements we have in place with them prevents them from using or sharing your personal data for any purpose.
How long we keep your data
We only keep your data for as long as we need to. More specifically:
- mailing list subscription – we will retain this data until you unsubscribe from our mailing list (every mailing list e-mail you receive from us will have a link allowing you to easily unsubscribe);
- enquiry information – we will retain this for not more than 2 years after you last contacted us – we only keep personal data for the current financial year and the previous financial year.
Transferring data outside of the European Economic Area (EEA)
We do not transfer any data outside of the EEA.
Legal basis for using your data
We generally rely on your consent to use your personal data in relation to monitoring website usage and sending you direct e-mails through our mailing list, or providing information or support should you choose to contact us directly through our website.
We also process your data because it is in our legitimate interests that we do so, namely:
- sending information to you by e-mail or text message about matters you have sought detailed information or clarity on;
- understanding the behaviour of visitors to our website so that we can improve our website;
Your legal rights
You have the following rights:
- the right to ask what personal data we hold about you;
- the right to ask us to update and correct or delete any out-of-date or incorrect personal data that we hold about you;
- the right to opt out of any communications that we may send you.
To exercise any of the above rights please email email@example.com
You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office (the supervising authority for data protection in the UK). To do that please visit their website.
Reviewing and changing how we use data
This Privacy Notice was last updated on 28th August 2018.
We regularly review our use of personal data to ensure that what we do continues to be fair, transparent, safe and legal. We sometimes change software or technologies, or how we work, and this may result in us changing what data we collect and/or how we use it. We will only use your data for the purposes set out above.
If we want to use your data for any other purpose, we will contact you and seek your express permission before we conduct any such processing.
We will always seek to minimise the amount of data we collect and use, and to only keep it for as long as we need to. Whenever any change is made to how we collect or use personal data we will update this Privacy Notice and any other relevant policies.
How to find out more or to make a complaint
We’ve endeavoured to make this Privacy Notice clear, informative and understandable, but if it is not then please contact us and we shall provide further information as required. We will also look to improve the wording of this Privacy Notice, based on feedback. To provide feedback, ask for more details or to make a complaint about our collection or use of your personal data then please email firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office in the UK – please visit their website to see how you can do that.